Saturday 18 January 2014

The Gherkin: A 21st Century Fairy Tale Tower

More pictures from London for today's Saturday Snapshot because I had such a good time on my day trip! Following on from last week's 'Paleys Upon Pilers', which echoed a Medieval city gate and Chaucer's 'dream' buildings, here are a couple of shots of the ultra-modern Gherkin, which seems to have become an architectural icon. We saw it on the skyline from further away, but it disappeared from view as we walked along nearby streets. Then, as we turned from Leadenhall Street into St Mary Axe, wham! There it was! It was so stunning, and so unexpected, it took my breath away, and I just stood and stared.

Oddly, for such a huge building (40 floors and 591 feet high) it seemed smaller than I expected, even though it’s big, big, big… When you’re close to it the scale is difficult to take in: perhaps it has to do with that strange disappearing act as you approach, or a shift in perspective. Then there’s the glass, and that fabulous curved shape, and the slightly distorted reflections of clouds and buildings, and the way it pushes sky-ward. Somehow it all seems to make the building appear less substantial, less bulky, less weighty than impressions given in photographs. And it rises from a surprisingly small patch of land, squeezed in between roads and other older, more historic buildings, as if it’s trying to escape the ground which confines it, like a rocket, or a helter skelter.
But let’s not forget that the site has its own history. The Baltic Exchange, built in the mid-18th Century to protect the interests of merchant shipping companies around the world, stood here in the heart of London’s financial district until it was wrecked by a Provisional IRA bomb in 1992. I gather that originally it was hoped to save part of the building, and incorporate it into something more convention, but the damage was too extensive. As a rule I’m not a fan of modern architecture, but I make some exceptions: Coventry Cathedral is one, and this is another. I love Norman Foster’s design, and all those giant glass triangles and diamonds remind me of the leaded lights in Medieval and Tudor buildings, but whether that's intentional or not I don't know. And, perhaps, in circumstances like this it’s better to create something new and completely different, that’s true to itself, rather than producing a pale imitation of what’s gone before.
I didn’t expect to like it, but I do. I think it’s like a 21st Century fairy tale tower (and I’ve always liked fairy tales and towers), with ever-changing pictures playing across its curved surface. And it’s much, much, much nicer in reality than I imagined – photographs, drawings, even TV or video images, don’t do The Gherkin (otherwise known as 30 St Mary Axe) any justice at all. It has to be seen to believed.

Saturday Snapshot is hosted by Melinda, at West Metro Mummy - click to follow the links to other participants).

24 comments:

  1. I've never thought of it as a fairy tale tower - but I can see what you mean. I've only seen it in the distance and it's obviously much more impressive close up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's impressive without being overwhelming. Sometimes when I look up at tall buildings, especially modern glass ones, they make me feel as if they are falling, or leaning over me. But this didn't - perhaps the curved surface makes it more friendly!

      Delete
  2. Is it better than the Shard or lesser than that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the Shard at close quarters but it's much, much taller than the Gherkin (310 metres. which is more than 1,000 feet) and it's not really the architecture I like - but I said that about the Gherkin, so you never can tell! I'll report back when I've seen it!

      Delete
  3. Its so beautiful! What an awesome thing to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not like a beautiful old cathedral, but it does have an odd beauty of its own.

      Delete
  4. Our reactions was WOW. I am sure Mr Busy and I will never travel to Europe, so I love seeing all the posts of the many book blogging world travelers. Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly enough I'm the same about the travelling, but the other way round! I'm unlikely to travel anyhere, except places in England... Even Europe is a bit of dream. Never mind.

      Delete
  5. Ummm,, I think it looks like a giant phallic symbol. I would have to laugh every time I saw that building. Glad you enjoyed it though. I've been raising boys for too long, probably. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think lots of people would agree with you - and I'm sure the majority of buildings could be seen as symbols of power!

      Delete
  6. From your description, it sounds as I could compare the fairy tower to the Grand Canyon. Any photo I look at of the Grand Canyon seems flat in comparison to the real thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison, it's always a problem trying to capture something large and three dimensional in a photograph, whether it's a natural feature in the landscape, or a manmade structure. I bet the Grand Canyon is truly spectacular - I'd love to see it.

      Delete
  7. That is a great tower! I agree that the "unconventionality" of it makes it all the more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly a very unusual building, and as a rule I'm not a fan of modern architecture but, against my will, ~I liked it.

      Delete
  8. It's so out of context and at the same time a fascinating looking structure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is totally out of context, but I would have to admit it's one of things I love about London, that mix of old and new. Wherever you go there, it's a mish-mash of mismatched styles and ages.

      Delete
  9. Although I know it is the Gherkin's shape that is impressive, I really like your last photo with the older building reflected in the diamonds of glass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reflections fascinated me. I'll bet you could get some great images from the upper floors of some of the surrounding buildings.

      Delete
  10. I have photos of this but you did an impressive job with the close-ups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie - I take that as a real compliment, because your photos are always so professional. This year I've challenged myself to try and take different shots, from more unusual angles, instead of my usual 'safe' landscape type pictures. It would be interesting to take lots of bits of The Gherkin, from different angles, in different lights and weathers.

      Delete
  11. I've only seen the gherkin from a distance (boat trip down the Thames) so I loved see your up close glimpses.
    It really is a remarkable building - eye catching at any angle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no intention of seeing at close quarters - it was my daughter's idea because, as I said earlier, her boyfriend works nearby. But I'm really pleased I went

      Delete
  12. It's such a lovely surprise, I think, in the world of boxy buildings. Thank you for sharing it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Deb - so many modern buildings are just boxes and this stands out because it is not.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog. I love to hear from readers.